ABOUT THE RANGERS
The history of Rangers goes back to an era long ago, back to 1887 to be exact, making Rangers one of, if not, the oldest Rugby Clubs going around. Rangers rugby club carries the tradition of all great rugby clubs through enjoyment of the game, sportsmanship, team comradeship and club social life.
The first meeting held to form the club read “A nucleus of barefooted lads living on the eastern side of the showgrounds, held an open air meeting at the corner of Bridge and Mary Streets (or Ewald Corner as it was known), at which formed a football club that was to have tremendous influence on Toowoomba football for many years called the Rangers.” Back then Rangers played in a competition with only four teams, Rangers, Paddingtons, Augbigny and the The Moonlights and in those days were a force to be reckoned with. Rangers won the 1890, ’91, ’92, ’93, ’96, ’99 and 1903 premierships.
However, during the war times not much rugby was played and rugby around the country had to reform itself. In 1963 Rangers played in the Brisbane competition. Then came the Risdon Cup, which began on Saturday the 4th of April 1964 when the first round of the Rugby Union Risdon Cup competition was played. The cup back then was valued at 300 pounds and was donated by Mr Keith Leahy of Risdon Stud, donated for competition between country Rugby Union teams. Toowoomba Rangers played Dalby at Gold Park that day and Goondiwindi played Warwick at Warwick. Gatton was the fifth team in the competition and had a bye. Rangers won a hard fought match 14-6 with the half time score being three all. Warwick defeated Goondiwindi 28-6. Rangers made the grand final that year, but lost to Warwick 25-12. In 1965 Rangers again tasted defeat in the final, this time to Gatton, going down 8-6.
Rangers first Risdon Cup side in 1964 had a red playing jersey with a white ‘R’ on the left chest area. This soon became a red and white horizontal stripe and finally, red, white and black horizontal stripe as is what it is today.